The first school opened on 30 October 1882 with 12 pupils and one teacher in a small cottage on the western side of the railway. As enrolments increased, a provisional school was built at 4 Harrow Street.
In 1911, the existing school was converted to the school residence, and a new state school was built.
The nearby Nunkulla School was closed on 6 December 1959. The building was transported to Cambooya and became a classroom. It was officially opened in December 1960.
The latest teaching block was constructed in 1985 and officially opened on 3 August 1985 by Mr J. A. Elliot, Member for Cunningham. It was in 1985 that the school was officially given six allotments of land which is now called Johnson Oval. This oval is used today for cricket, soccer, and athletics.
Early in 2005 we officially opened our covered area. Mr Stuart Copeland, Member of Parliament (MP) congratulated the school community for constructing a very useful covered area for eating lunches and undercover activities.
The school celebrated the centenary in 1982 and 125 years of education at Cambooya State School in 2007. Books were published for both these occasions and are available for purchase from our school office.
Our school community has identified the following agreed school values to teach and promote our high standards of responsible behaviour:
'WE are RARE'
W = Welcoming
E = Environment
R = Responsible
A = Active learner
R = Respect
E = Excel
These school values are aligned with the values, principles and expected standards outlined in Education Queensland’s code of school behaviour.